- Open entry.
- If English is not your first language, you must also demonstrate English language skills with an IELTS overall band score (academic) of 5.0, with no band score lower than 5.0. This must come from one test taken in the preceding two years or from an NZQA-approved test equivalent to the required IELTS level.
Please note: This programme will only run if there are sufficient numbers.
Youth Guarantee Scheme information
To be eligible for Youth Guarantee funding, you must:
- Be a domestic student between 16-19 years old
- OR be 15 years of age at the time when you commence the programme AND have an early leaving exemption from your school
- Not already hold a Level 3 qualification in any subject
- Have been thinking about leaving school and getting a job OR prefer to be working towards a career rather than staying at school OR have left school and are not sure how to enter higher education or employment
- Want to learn practical skills
- Be more motivated in a non-school setting and be prepared to enrol in a full-time programme.
Fees and allowances
The Youth Guarantee Scheme will cover tuition fees, material and equipment costs of your programme of study. 18-19 year olds enrolled in fees-free Youth Guarantee qualifications will now be able to access the course-related costs part of the student loan and student allowances if they meet the eligibility criteria. Those under 18 years old will not be able to access any part of the student loans. Funding for travel is available, conditions apply. Please visit the Studylink website for full details. We strongly recommend that you read this carefully prior to applying for this programme.
- There is not a separate Youth Guarantee application form. Please apply for this programme by using our standard Otago Polytechnic application form. To apply online, or to download a paper version, click the apply button at the top right hand corner of this page.
- If you meet the criteria for Youth Guarantee funding you will be offered the funding if it is available. We will ask you to let us know within two weeks if you do not wish to take up the funding.
- If there is no Youth Guarantee funding available, we will send you a letter advising you of this. Along with this letter, you will receive an invoice, terms and conditions, a Studylink brochure and an equipment list advising what you will need to purchase before starting your programme.
You will take part in an assessment process to measure your current skill level. This will involve having an informal chat with a course advisor so we can make sure that you are placed at the right level.
|Course name||Course description||Level||Credits|
|Career and Study Skills||Develop focused skills for career and study pathways||3||15|
|Communication Skills||Learn how to communicate clearly using a range of appropriate media||3||15|
|Human Biological Science||Gain underpinning knowledge of chemistry, cell biology,
human anatomy and physiology, in terms of normal function
within a healthy environment
|Introduction to Beauty Therapy||Gain knowledge about, and perform, basic techniques
in the area of skincare and make-up
This is a full-time programme and you should expect to spend around 40 hours per week in study. This will consist of in class, face-to-face teaching, completing assignments and undertaking self-directed study from home. There will be a total of 90 teacher-directed learning hours and 60 student-managed learning hours.
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw from your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
Recognition of Prior Learning
If you have extensive knowledge and skills due to practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.